Millions of Americans continue to face uncertainty as the federal government shutdown stretches into its second month, resulting in an unprecedented pause in SNAP benefits.
Despite the billions in emergency funding set aside, the U.S. Department of Agriculture says it cannot issue the funds amid the shutdown—a change from its own previously stated policies. Two federal courts have ruled the Trump administration must use emergency funds to continue benefits. On November 3, a filing from the administration indicated partial SNAP benefits would be issued for November, something President Donald Trump then contradicted in a November 4 Truth Social post. Emergency funding for WIC benefits has continued during the shutdown.
Roughly 42 million people receive SNAP benefits, also known as food stamps, nationwide. More than 854,000 Virginians utilized the program in September, including 4,716 Charlottesville residents, according to the Virginia Department of Social Services.
Gov. Glenn Youngkin declared a state of emergency on October 29, and announced the creation of Virginia Emergency Nutritional Assistance. The program will distribute weekly benefits to SNAP participants for November, with the first round of funds distributed November 3. A statewide food drive, the Virginia Cares Initiative, was also announced.
While those in need can still apply for SNAP during the government shutdown, benefit issuance is paused. VENA funds are only available to those who received benefits in October.
“Virginia is the first state in the nation providing direct nutritional assistance to SNAP recipients during this shutdown,” said Youngkin. “But we know there are still thousands of families, including federal workers and newly eligible Virginians, who are struggling to make ends meet as the Democrat shutdown continues.”
Youngkin, and other Republican leaders, continue to blame the shutdown on U.S. Senate Democrats. This has extended to messaging on federal websites, with a banner at the top of the USDA homepage reading: “Senate Democrats have now voted 13 times to not fund the food stamp program, also known as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). Bottom line, the well has run dry. At this time, there will be no benefits issued November 01. We are approaching an inflection point for Senate Democrats. They can continue to hold out for healthcare for illegal aliens and gender mutilation procedures or reopen the government so mothers, babies, and the most vulnerable among us can receive critical nutrition assistance.”
Legislation to end the shutdown has been debated for weeks, with neither party budging. A bill funding the government at current levels through November 21 passed the House along party lines, but has failed to pass the Senate. While Republicans control both chambers, at least seven Democrat or Democratically-aligned senators must vote in favor of the bill to pass the 60-vote threshold. Senate Democrats have voiced concerns with the legislation, specifically its effects on healthcare costs.
Virginia Sens. Tim Kaine and Mark Warner have voted against the current funding bill, writing in an October 28 statement, “Preliminary cost estimates are showing what we’ve been warning about for months: huge spikes in premium costs for Virginians enrolled in health care through the Affordable Care Act marketplace. If Republicans continue to refuse to act on ACA tax credits, then many Americans will be forced to forgo health insurance next year. This will lead to more people turning to emergency rooms for preventive health care, further stress being placed on health care providers, and health care costs rising even more. Republicans must come to the table now to protect Americans’ health care and reopen the government.”
Both Virginia senators have supported efforts to continue funding for SNAP and WIC through the shutdown.